The AJA KONA LHi bridges the gap between legacy analog devices and the latest 3Gb SDI and HDMI enabled products providing editing, monitoring and mastering of professional quality video in an affordable, powerful, easy to use product.
If your post-production facility works with a wide variety of formats, frame rates and audio/video sources, the AJA KONA LHi provides the connectivity you need.
Connect everything from an HDMI enabled camera to an HD-SDI VTR to KONA LHi. Connecting to any of your legacy analog video signals is also possible through configurable component, composite, or s-video. Via an Input PassThrough mode, you can even configure the card to act as a converter within your computer.
KONA LHi offers a full host of no-compromise features: 10-bit or 8-bit uncompressed video, 2-channel AES digital audio and 8-channel SDI embedded digital audio, analog composite or s-video or SD/HD component video I/O, 2-channel balanced analog audio I/O, and broadcast-quality hardware-based up/down/crossconversion for flexible SD and HD post production.
KONA LHi's HDMI 1.3a support allows you to feed a "deep color" monitor with glorious 10-bit video, banishing video banding and preserving your gradients and rich color palate. Only KONA LHi delivers this 10-bit deep color state-of-the-art HDMI support.
Like the AJA KONA 3 product, the KONA LHi features full 10-bit, broadcast-quality, motion-adaptive SD to HD up-conversion, HD to HD crossconversion, HD to SD down-conversion, and automatic HD/SD 12-bit component analog output. Since KONA LHi's conversions are hardware-based, they are available all the time - during ingest or playback. Outputs can be configured independently allowing you to have simultaneous HD and SD output - or two different types of HD - 720 or 1080 - output at the same time via cross-conversion.
Extend your Connectivity with KLHi-Box
The optional KLHi-Box provides all the standard features of a cable for 1RU rack mounted I/O convenience and added connectivity in the form of additional BNC digital AES/EBU connectors and RCA audio monitoring jacks.
KONA for Mac Software
AJA KONA for Mac drivers are optimized for use on OSX, with applications and advanced AJA hardware capabilities controlled easily at-a-glance in the application you're using. KONA for Mac software integrates within the native environment where used-whether Apple Final Cut Studio, Adobe Creative Suite, Autodesk Smoke for Mac, or myriad other major Mac applications.
Within Apple Final Cut Pro, KONA offers:
- Easy Setups for instant configuration of your workflow in unison with KONA hardware.
- Advanced hardware configuration from the AJA Control Panel can be accessed without leaving your application by simply holding down the command key and clicking into the UI. For example, play back HD media from Final Cut Pro and evaluate what an SD downconversion would look like as an anamorphic, cropped or letterboxed output - all in realtime without ever stopping playback.
- HDV codec hardware acceleration. The KONA hardware allows instantaneous realtime playback for both monitoring and recording. Even KONA's conversions work in realtime with HDV, allowing SD monitoring, dubs, or mastering.
- DVCPro HD codec hardware acceleration. KONA's precision hardware allows capture and playback of HD-SDI video to and from the DVCPRO HD codec at a quality level virtually indistinguishable from native FireWire, while freeing up valuable RT processing power.
- Dynamic RT Extreme video scaling support. Dynamic RT Extreme video scaling is offloaded in realtime to KONA as the "Playback Video Quality" dynamically adjusts. This allows more playback power - and because KONA handles it seamlessly, the Dynamic RT you see on the Mac monitor is the same as that shown on your professional broadcast monitor output from the KONA card
Within Adobe Creative Suite
- Advanced AJA Plug-ins support offering control of KONA using familiar controls and appearance within Adobe CS applications including Premiere, Photoshop, and After Effects.
- Realtime Photoshop broadcast video output to broadcast monitors.
- Realtime Capture, Display and Mastering from within After Effects
- Saved software rendering time with hardware-based KONA Up/Cross/Down Conversion
- Native realtime support for file per frame formats such as DPX, Cineon, TIFF, TGA and BMP.
All Mac Applications benefit
The KONA Desktop feature allows broadcast design elements to be viewed with the proper aspect ratio and color depth on a broadcast monitor via the KONA card. KONA Desktop is available on the entire range of KONA cards, supporting Adobe After Effects, Photoshop, Apple Motion, Apple Shake, Autodesk Combustion and more.
Powerful AJA utilities, Easy Setups, and plug-ins round out the Mac environment providing support for all popular Mac application workflows.
KONA for PC Software
KONA for PC software allows Windows to access the hardware power of your KONA within major editing and graphics applications. Other software vendors have also provided integrated support for KONA in their own PC applications through direct collaboration with AJA.
Choose the right KONA card to playback HD/SD or SD-only video and audio data from disk-even 2K-in any format you choose, including DPX, Cineon, TGA, TIFF, BMP, AVI and QuickTime. You can playback and master material, at a variety of frame rates, on a high-resolution wide-screen monitor or digital projector. Custom AJA software allows full control over your playback parameters are clearly laid out, including provisions for choosing a user-specified LUT.
Supplied AJA plug-ins integrate your KONA card into a variety of graphics/visual-effects software applications to make operations even easier to use. Using AJA plug-ins, sophisticated features appear as if they were native to the software application user interfaces.
Directly supported applications include:
- Adobe Premiere® Pro
- Adobe After Effects®
- Adobe PhotoShop®
- Autodesk Combustion®
- Eyeon Digital Fusion®
All Workflows benefit from AJA Machina
KONA for PC software includes a stand-alone powerful capture/playback application, AJA Machina™, that includes full VTR machine control with access to any and all KONA supported file formats, video standards and hardware conversions, presented in a very cool and easy-to-use interface. Machina supports all KONA for PC formats, including DVCPro HD, QuickTime, DPX and many others.
Files captured from Machina can be imported into virtually any software package that supports these file formats, such as compositing programs, 3D animation programs, audio editing programs and much more. Exported files from your application of choice can be seamlessly played out to the video and audio equipment of your choice.
Machina has great desktop preview features allowing you to preview your files full screen on your desktop display at various zoom levels, creating an alternative for frame by frame viewing when no additional monitor is available. In addition Machina allows you to apply 1D LUT's on output, to output video+key for monitoring or mixing, and the ability to key in static graphics on selected KONA cards.
This huge feature set makes Machina an invaluable Windows tool for film and video professionals, making it a useful addition to virtually any PC workflow.
Video Formats Mac