The Flashlink EDFA-B-C 17dBm is an erbium doped fiber amplifier with a special control circuit making it better for SDI signals than normal EDFAs. It is a +17dBm booster that is typically used at the beginning or in the middle of a link. At the receiving end of a link, a low power / low noise preamp would typically be needed instead.
The EDFA is unidirectional by nature, but can amplify up to 40 DWDM channels on a single fiber, at 100GHz spacing. Ideal gain flatness is achieved with input power close to the nominal input power.
Various safety measures are implemented, like automatic shutdown if rear lid is opened to access the fiber connectors, or manual shutdown by the use of GPI, GYDA, RS422 or turning the safety key to the “off” position. There is also a reduced output power mode that can be entered with the use of GPI, GYDA or RS422 control.
EDFA can also be directly controlled over RS232, bypassing the Flashlink features. The key, lid, GPI and GYDA/RS422 still operate the shutdown and reduced output power modes, even when using direct RS232 control.
EDFA status is monitored by use of LEDs, GPIO and RS422/GYDA.
- DWDM networks
- Optical dark fiber networks
- Ultra long haul optical transport
- Broadcast contribution networks
- Full-band EDFA covers all 40 C-band DWDM channels (1528-1562nm)
- Flat gain over whole spectrum,
- Ideal for multistage and full-band amplification
- SDI Optimised, full broadcast performance
- Transports pathological SDI and HD-SDI signals without scrabling
- Booster/in-line and pre-amp versions
- The only modular EDFA available,
- Booster and pre-amp or two in-line EDFAs in the same frame
- Very compact
- Occupies 3 slots in a Flashlink FR-2RU-10-2 frame
- Very low power consumption, only 9W
- Extensive parameter monitoring with
- Network Electronics GYDA-SC controller
- Enables point-to-point transport of up to 40 uncompressed HD-SDI signals at long distances without electrical regeneration
- Uni-directional device
- Signal and bit-rate transparent